Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cold Comfort

It's just starting to be chilly here in the Carolinas and we all know how much I love the fall. I love dark mornings and early sunsets and that just makes me the oddest of ducks I'm sure. Since this is the first really cold night, I decided to make a nice non-fattening, comforting meal that my mom would make when we would get a cold week in my hometown.
Navy beans, some call them white beans, are a good source of protein and cheap to boot. Add a bit of lean ham to them while they cook and they are a meal fit for a king. Low and slow is the way to go with beans, so soak them the night before, and give them the day to simmer. You will be rewarded. Add a square of cornbread to it and it's just about right for a crisp autumn night.
You know what they say about cold comfort, it's better than no comfort a-tall.

Go forth and eat.

No comments: