Monday, August 4, 2008

Swing Vote?

Ok, this is not a political blog, but I have to get this off my chest. I'm not a Democrat, I'm not a Republican. But excuse me if I feel like I've been swindled. The politics in this country is the biggest bait-and-switch con running today. I hate to vote for any of them. But they say the only vote that doesn't count is the one that isn't cast. They say alot.
My Daddy used to tell me that I could be anything I wanted, if I was willing to work hard for it. I think that used to be true. I could start off as a ditch-digger and become president of the construction firm. Now I can't even get that ditch-digging job. I could take a job as a secretary and work my way up to CEO, now my secretary job has been sent to New Delhi. Those of us who were waiting for our ship to come in have a long wait, ship's been diverted...to China.
I don't have much room to complain. I wasn't raised poor. I had a middle-class lifestyle. According to my tax-return, I still do. Bottom of the middle, which is now more like the top of the bottom. Maybe I'm doing ok, since I married a man who's a hard worker. If I wasn't married, well, let's just say I used to say, hey, I'm making more than minimum wage, and now minimum wage is $7 an hour. The divide has narrowed.
But what about the others? The folks out there who are trying, who work two and three jobs to make ends meet, and some weeks, they don't make it. Who give their lives to companies like Enron and World Com and wake up to find that their lives have been paying for party hats for amoral executives. I am not saying that companies have no right to make a profit, I'm saying they have a responsibility to those who made that profit for them.
Or the US military folks, who were willing to give their lives for us, and this country can't be bothered to even help their families, or get them some decent medical care.
My generation doesn't get any credit. They say we're all into our iPods and can't be bothered with voting or issues. I'll say this, we do care, we are listening, we are paying attention. But we know that we cannot win this fight right now. We don't have the power. We don't have the money. We know that right now, this isn't a fair fight. But we are watching. We are disgusted. We are ashamed.
I still believe the US is a great country. The fact that I have the freedom to write this is reason enough to want to live here. I just don't know if I can afford to.
I don't think we lost our country, I think we sold it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. We have sold out and sold out our children to the brainwashing that our establishment has created. We must stand up and fight for our rights and teach our children real history, so that they can change this world we live in.